I began my training at Waiariki Polytechnic in Rotorua, before moving to Wanganui to study graphic design, ultimately gaining a Masters in Computer Graphic Design.
Along the way I have worked in roles such as pre-press and as a designer in various media, as well as tutoring within the Wanganui School of Design.
I am currently pursuing study on image selection in a design context. The study seeks methods for the description of visual imagery to support effective browsing and retrieval in a creative discipline such as graphic design, rather than for exact match queries.
- Jung, D., Laing, S., Jensen, M. H., Hunkin, P., Löf, A. and Tims, N. (2011) “Requirements on dance-driven 3-D camera interaction: a collaboration between dance, graphic design and computer science.” Masoodian, M. and Rogers, B. (eds), Proc Twelfth Annual ACM SIGCHI-NZ Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (CHINZ 2011), Hamilton, New Zealand, 25-32. ACM, New York. doi:10.1145/2000756.2000760
- Laing, S. (2009) “Create a visual symphony on computer using multiple cores.” Waikato Times, 29 July.
- Cunningham, S. J. and Laing, S. (2009) “An analysis of lyrics questions on Yahoo! answers: implications for lyric/music retrieval systems.” Kay, J., Thomas, P. and Trotman, A. (eds), Proc Fourteenth Australasian Document Computing Symposium (ADCS 2009), Sydney, Australia, 137-140.
- Laing, S.J. (2008) Applying graphic design terms to image tagging. Proc International Conference on Content-Based Image and Video Retrieval, CIVR '08, Niagara Falls, Canada, 3-8. ACM, New York, NY. DOI= http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1386352.1386357
Contact Simon Laing
- Phone (+64) 7 838 4505
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty of Computing and Mathematical Sciences
The University of Waikato
Private Bag 3105
Hamilton, NEW ZEALAND